NFL Facts and Fun with 11/11/11
In the spirit of November 11th, 2011, we offer up some fun NFL facts for the 2011 season.
The #11 has been worn by some exceptional NFL stars including Drew Bledsoe, Norm Van Brocklin, and Phil Simms.
There are still exceptional players in the NFL today that where the number, and here are some fun facts from the 2011 NFL season involving the number 11 for 11/11/11:
Notable #11 Owners (Players who wear the number)
Blaine Gabbert, QB, Jacksonville Jaguars
- Rookie starter that is showing improvement.
Alex Smith, QB, San Francisco 49ers
- Veteran starter who has the 49ers at 7-1.
Josh Johnson, QB, Tampa Bay Buccaneers
- Backup for Josh Freeman.
Julio Jones, WR, Atlanta Falcons
- Starting wide receiver who scored his first two touchdowns in Week 9.
- Rookie of the Year candidate.
Larry Fitzgerald, WR, Arizona Cardinals
- Starting wide receiver for a struggling Cardinals team, lacking a true quarterback.
Jeremy Kerley, WR, New York Jets
- Return man for the Jets who has seen some time at receiver.
Brandon LaFell, WR, Carolina Panthers
- No. 2 receiver for Carolina, currently in his second season.
Mohammed Massaquoi, WR, Cleveland Browns
- No. 1 receiver for Cleveland who has sat out recent games due to concussion.
Jordan Shipley, WR, Cincinnati Bengals
- Slot receiver for Cincinnati who was knocked out in Week 2 with a torn ACL.
Roy Williams, WR, Chicago Bears
- Journeyman wide receiver struggling with the Bears, formerly drafted by Matt Millen in the first round.
Fun “11″ Statistics
- Mark Sanchez’s birthday is 11/11/1986. As of 11/11/2011, Sanchez has 111 fantasy points based on standard scoring.
- #11 Blaine Gabbert has 11 passes for over 20 yards on the season. Kyle Orton also has the same amount.
- New Orleans Saints quarterback Drew Brees has 11 interceptions on the season.
- Michael Vick (Eagles) and Jay Cutler (Bears) are both tied with 11 touchdowns on the season after facing each other on Monday Night Football earlier this week.
- 11 seasons ago Michael Vick was drafted #1 overall by the Atlanta Falcons. Out of that same draft, 18 first round picks are still with NFL teams today, 11 of which were starters at some point in 2011.
- Cutler was also the 11th overall pick in the 2006 NFL Draft, right behind Matt Leinart who wore #11 at USC.
- Three quarterbacks have been sacked 11 times all season, Matt Hasselbeck (Titans), Curtis Painter (Colts), and Chad Henne (Dolphins). Henne had played in less games then each.
- The league leader for touchdowns by a receiver is Calvin Johnson with 11. The next best is six touchdowns, which seven players are tied with.
- Seven NFL players are tied with 11 catches over 20 yards for the season, including one tight end (Jake Ballard).
- Houston Texans kicker Neil Rackers is a perfect 11/11 in field goals ranging from 20-29 yards.
- Dallas Cowboys pass rusher DeMarcus Ware was the 11th overall pick in the 2005 NFL Draft, out of Troy State. He’s currently second in 2011 with 12 sacks (Jared Allen has 12.5)
- The Denver Broncos defense has scored 11 fantasy points three times in 2011.
- The Cincinnati Bengals defense is averaging 11 fantasy points scored per week in 2011.
The moral of this 11/11/11 bit? Don’t take the day too seriously, but at the same time, don’t completely ignore it, either. This is the only time in your life that date will ever pop up. It’s almost over, so like most days, try to enjoy it.